Are you planning to travel to the United Kingdom for education, tourism, business, or to live and work, and getting your visa is a bit challenging, do not worry. This detailed guide on UK Visa application in Nigeria will definitely be of help you, so read on.
First of all, you need to know the type of visa you are to apply for. And if you do not have an international passport, kindly get one at the nearest immigration office to you. It must be for valid for a month after your intended stay.
The Visa I Need
The Standard Visitor Visa (Tourist Visa) is the most sorted after and has replaced the Family Visitor, General Visitor, Child Visitor, Business Visitor, Sports Visitor, Entertainer Visitor, Prospective Entrepreneur visa.This visa allows you to visit friends and loved ones, go on a holiday, study, conduct business, and attend conferences and training programmes.
Must read: American Visa Application in Nigeria; How To Apply and Other Guide
UK Visa Application in Nigeria; Major Requirements
The major requirements you need before embarking on a UK Visa application in Nigeria are as follows:
- A valid international passport with a blank page on both sides
- Completed online visa application form
- A passport photograph
- Visa fee
- Proof of finances (bank statement of 3 months)
- Hotel bookings
- Letter of invitation from your host stating your purpose, duration and host details.
- Original marriage certificate if travelling with your spouse
- Birth certificates for your children if you are travelling together
- Recent utility bills
- If you are travelling for business you will need to include: invitation letter, confirmation of training, confirmation of conference; details of an authorised company rep and their contact details.
How To Apply For a UK Visa in Nigeria
- 1.You can apply online visiting Gov.Uk
- 2.Fill out the application form, pay the visa fee, and book an appointment at a Visa Application Centre.
- 3.Register your details with Teleperformance to enable you track your application. If you don’t register, you will not be allowed to attend your appointment.
- 4.Attend your appointment and submit your biometrics at a UK Visa Application Centre coming along with the following:
- Your original passport
- Printed copies of your online application form and appointment confirmation
- Receipt of payment of visa fees
- All required documents
- Supporting documents
- 5.Wait for your visa application to be processed.
- 6.Collect your passport at the specified Visa Application Centre. You will be notified when it is ready for collection.
Note: according to Teleperformance, “Children under 5 years old are now required to attend the Visa Application Centre in order for them to have their photo taken at the centre.
UK Visa Application Submission
Visa applications can be submitted at either in any Visa Application Centres in Lagos or Abuja during weekdays except public holidays between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm.
Your application for a UK visa should come three months before your intended departure date.
UK Visa Processing
Your visa application can take four to six working days. However, some applications can take up to 30 days if documents are missing or they require special attention because of crime or a history of rejection.
UK Visa Collection
You can collect your passport and visa between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm from Monday to Friday except public holidays. You will be alerted when your application has been sent to the UK Embassy on the submission day, and you will be alerted when your passport arrives back at the UK Application Centre and is ready for collection. You will need to bring copies of your application documents, an original photographic ID, and a copy of the bio-data page in your passport.
Note: A third party cannot collect your documents on your behalf, except if you are a government representative, a parent collecting for the child or children, or you are collecting on behalf of your family if you applied together.
UK Visa Rejection
The most reasons for UK visas being rejected are:
- Submitting false documents
- The applicant has received a deportation order
- The applicant was found guilty of a crime that warrants four years or more of jail time
- Withholding documentation of a criminal background
- Insufficient funds
- Overstaying a previous visit to the United Kingdom
- Submitting fraudulent documents on a previous trip to the United Kingdom
- Not complying with all the application requirements
- Lack of a valid passport or travel documents
- Invalid reason for wanting to visit the United Kingdom
Using any visa agents in Nigeria is recommended if you are unsure about the process and requirements (plus this will quicken your UK visa application in Nigeria). It will cost extra but will give you peace of mind that everything is in order.