France is one of the most popular countries in Europe and the world at large, and lots of migrants have been visiting the country for one purpose or the other. So, what are the documents required for France Visa? I guess this should be a big question many people who wants to travel to France for the first time are curios of. If you are one of those, then you are lucky coming across this post. In this article, you will get to see the visa requirements for France in terms of the documents you will need during the application process. The article gives further insight on application of French visa in Nigeria, revealing the visa types and the location of France embassy in Nigeria.
Visa Requirements for France and Documents Needed
Fulfilling the visa requirements set by the relevant French Embassy or Consulate is of utmost importance. You should endeavour to provide all the information and necessary documents because failure to do so might lead to an unsuccessful visa application, postponement or total rejection.
The following are the general visa requirements for France in terms of documents needed and important directives you should adhere for a successful visa application.
- Download the France Schengen Visa application form. It can be filled out in a printed version, or electronically and printed after that. In both cases it needs to be signed by the applicant in order to be considered authentic. Get detailed instructions on how to accurately fill the application form!
- Note: If the applicant is under the age of 18, parents or guardian is the authorized person to sign the application form.
- Two Recently Made Passport Photos. Understand which are French Visa Photo Requirements and other specifications.
- A Valid Passport: The passport of the visa applicant must be valid at least three months beyond the return date, as well as it needs to have at least two blank pages.
- Note: Rules of entry and stay in France might change depending if you possess a regular, a diplomatic or an official duty passport.
- Proof of the Applicant’s Address: A copy of the lease agreement or deed of apartment/house. Bills such as electricity, water, cable, or, other regular bills are accepted.
- A Proof of a Booked Round-Trip Flight Ticket with Travel Itinerary – The French diplomatic office will only require you to present a copy of a booked round-trip flight ticket, instead of buying the actual flight ticket before obtaining the visa. This document must involve information about the airline company, your name and identity details, destinations, flight number, days and hours.
- Tip: Save your money from buying a costly flight ticket to France, by knowing How to Book a Flight Itinerary for France Visa Application.
- Note: The French Embassy or Consulate might require from you to present the actual round-trip flight ticket the moment of issuing a French Visa.
- Proof of Travel Visa Insurance.
- Covering Letter: A one or two-page document signed by the applicant, stating the purpose of your visit to France, including the travel programme. This is a separate written or printed sheet, where you include information about the days of travel, about means of transportation, destinations, addresses and so on.
- Note: If the applicant is a businessman or self-employed, when applying for a tourist visa, covering letter can be required on a company letterhead.
- Proof of a booked accommodation
- Proof of the Civil Status: Marriage certificate, child’s birth certificate, spouse’s death certificate, ration card if applicable.
- Means of Subsistence
- Visa Application Fee
Now, you have known the general requirement for a French Visa, let me now show you all the information you need to know if you are a Nigerian and applying from Nigeria.
France Visa Application and Requirements for Nigerian Citizens
The visa requirements for France if you are a Nigerian citizen are as follows:
- A valid Nigerian passport – at least 6 months validity
- Duly filled and signed France Visa application form
- A letter of invitation from sponsor
- Official letter from employer addressed to the France Consulate with proof of wages (for employment visa applicants)
- An original letter from applicant’s institution addressed to the France Consulate confirming status/attendance and duration of the course studies.
- A confirmation of the applicant’s Hotel reservation
- Copies of the applicant’s bank statement for the past 3 months.
- Visa Application fee.
- Travel visa insurance
- Proof of accommodation
Applicants below the age of 18 years must provide the following documents:
- A copy of the birth certificate
- A consent letter from Parents
- Passport copy of the parent. A letter of consent is to be provided, otherwise National identity card.
There are two major categories of France visas and they include the Short stay and the Long stay visa. The duration of the short visa is 3 months. Any stay that would exceed 3 months would be classified as Long stay.
Types of France Visa
There are several types of France (Schengen) visas and they can be categorized according to reasons or purposes of travel as well as the length of stay.
The following are types of France visas according to reasons or purposes of travel.
Airport Transit Visa
The airport transit visa is issued to people that have flight stops at France airport, and are going to be on another flight from the same airport. Throughout the waiting period, such a person is not allowed to leave the airport. .
The transit visa is issued to people traveling from one country to another country and you have to pass through the territory of the Republic of France. It is issued for one transit, or exceptionally for several transits. The duration of each transit case should not be more than 5 days.
Family Friend Visit Visa
Family Friend visit visa is issued to a person traveling to France to visit friends or relatives. The visa has a validity of 30 days. Applicants for this visa need to provide invitation letters from their sponsors in France.
France business visa is issued to persons who want to attend or conduct business activities, meetings, symposiums, trade fairs or training in France.
The long stay visas include Study visas, Family Stay visas, Employment visas, Marriage visas, Medical visas, and Re-entry visas.
Apart from these other reasons or purposes for travel include medical reasons, study purposes, tourism, and cultural sports and film crews.
France Embassy in Nigeria Addresses and Contact Details
The following are the addresses and contacts details of the French embassy in Nigeria:
France Embassy, Abuja
Address: 37, Udi Hills Street, Off Aso Drive.
Maitama – Abuja
Telephone: (+234)0805 949 97 86, +234-0803 958 75 47
France Visa Application centre Lagos
Address: Block 94, Plot 23, Providence Street, Lekki-Epe Expressway. Lekki Scheme 1, Lagos
How to Submit France Visa Application
Applicants should submit their fully completed questionnaire at the visa application centre. Applications can be submitted as early as 10 weeks before the intended date of departure. However, the application should be submitted at least 3 weeks to the applicant’s intended date of travel, from 8 am – 2 pm, Monday – Friday, except declared public holidays.
France Visa Processing Time
Generally, France visa processing times might take as long as 3 weeks.
How to Collect France Visa
The passport can be collected by the applicant or can be sent to the applicant through a courier service. If an applicant wants his passport sent through a courier service, he/she would have to specify during application.
That it is all the information you need to know in regards to visa requirements for France and the processes involved if you are applying for Nigeria. If you are applying for France visa from another country, the general requirement remains the same, all you need to do is to get more information from the France consulate or travel agents in your country of residence.