Akwa Ibom State University is located in the South Southern region of Nigeria, and its location has attracted lots of students from that region especially from indigenes of Akwa Ibom state. If you are one of those aspiring to secure admission into this university then this post will be of immense importance to you. In this article, you will get to see the Alkwa Ibom State University Courses and cut off mark, as well as the admission requirements for both UTME and Direct Entry.
Before carrying you into the courses and major requirements for admission into Akwa Ibom State University, let me first of all introduce you to this prestigious university located in the south south region of Nigeria. At least, it is worth having an idea of the school you want to gain admission into.
About Akwa Ibom State University
Akwa Ibom state University is regarded as a conventional multi-campus institution. With the main campus of the school located at Ikot Akpaden in the Mkpat Enin Local government area of the state and another campus located at Obio Akoa in Oruk Anam local government area. Formerly known as Akwa Ibom State University of Technology (AKUTECH), the bill that formally established the change of name to Akwa Ibom state University (AKSU) was signed into law in September, 2010.
With state of the art facilities, the school offers a wide range of courses across faculties. This article provides a comprehensive list of the courses offered in Akwa Ibom state University and the requirements for admission into the university. The University began with the faculties of Engineering, Natural and Applied Sciences, Oceanography and Naval Architecture and Agriculture while the faculty of Social and Management Sciences was introduced in the year 2011/2012 academic session.
Now, you have an idea of some facts about Akwa Ibom State University, let me proceed in revealing to you the admission requirements.
Admission Requirements into Akwa Ibom State University
Admission requirements via Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME)
Candidates applying for any course in the university via the UTME mode must possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of five credit passes in subjects relevant to the proposed course of study to include English Language at SSCE/GCE/NECO O’ level or any other equivalent examinations
- UTME scores of at least 180 and above (as subject to the yearly decision of the Matriculation board)
- Post-UTME screening score of not less than 180 (subject to the yearly decision of the school committee change)
- Candidates must make Akwa Ibom State University their 1st choice when filling the JAMB form in order to qualify to write the Post-UTME screening test
- Candidates who score less than 180 at the Post-UTME screening test will not be considered for admission into any programme in the institution, irrespective of any higher scores obtained at UTME
- The candidate’s average scores from the UTME and Post-UTME screening tests are used for final selection into programmes
- Note that the cut-off point for admission varies from one programme to the other
Admission Requirements into Akwa Ibom State University via Direct Entry
Candidates applying for any programme at Akwa Ibom State University via direct entry mode must possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of five credit passes in subjects relevant to the proposed course of study, to include English Language at SSCE, GCE O’ level or equivalent qualification
- Either A’ levels, OND or NCE in relevant subject areas or courses
- Acceptable score in the direct entry screening exercise
- A combination of the candidate’s certificates and score in the direct entry screening test is used as basis for the final selection
Akwa Ibom State University Courses in Various Faculties
Faculty of Agriculture
Departments under this faculty are:
- Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Animal Science
- Crop science
- Soil Science
- Fisheries and Aquaculture
Faculty of Arts
Departments under this faculty are:
- History and International Studies
- Religious and Cultural studies
- Performing (Theatre Arts)
Faculty of Education
- Biology Education
- Chemistry Education
- Integrated Science Education
- Mathematics Education
- Physics Education
Faculty of Engineering
- Agricultural Engineering
- Chemical/Petrochemical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Marine Engineering/Naval Architecture
- Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Social sciences
- Mass communication
- Political Sciences
- Public Administration
Faculty of Biological sciences
- Genetics and Biotechnology
- Computer Science
- Petroleum Geology
- Applied Geophysics
- Marine Biology
- Biological Sciences
Faculty of Management Sciences
- Business Administration
Faculty of Natural and Applied Sciences
- Departments under this faculty are
- Mathematics and statistics
- Mathematics Science
- Physics Science
- Chemistry Science
Now you have seen the available courses in Akwa Ibom State University, let me now show you the cut off mark you should be expecting as you continue your quest fro admission into this university.
Cut Off Mark
There are certain criteria which students must meet before being offered admission to study any course in any university in Nigeria. One of these includes meeting the required cut off mark for each university as well as that of the course itself. It is very easy to gain admission into any university once you have passed the required cut off mark for the particular course.
What is cut off mark?
Cut off mark is an agreed score set by a particular institution as a basic of admitting students into the department of study. This score is usually accredited to candidates based on their performance in a particular examination. However, students who have scored above the required cut off mark will be given admission and preferentially treated in admission process above those who have met the exact cut off mark.
Akwa Ibom State University JAMB Fixed Cut-off Mark
Following the scrapping out of post UTME by the federal government, the Joints Admission and Matriculation board (JAMB) had given a bench mark of 180 and above for candidates applying for Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges of Education. Hitherto, the Akwa Ibom State University has follow suit in the 180 general cut of mark of JAMB.
You might ask questions like: I had 180 and above but was not still given the admission to study my desired course?
Candidates with higher scores are first considered; in admission basics, candidates with lower scores though might meet the cut off mark of 180 may likely not be admitted. In fact, it is the higher your scores, the higher the chance of being admitted.
Akwa Ibom State University Departmental Cut off Mark
Akwa Ibom State University does not really have a specific cut off mark for courses. However, candidates who have scored a minimum of one 180 in UTME examination is eligible to apply for admission into any of their choice courses.
Due to the high number of students wishing to study in the Akwa Ibom State University, the admission processes is competitive and an admission is given based on JAMB score and O level grades.
Below are courses offered in the university as well as their cut off mark;
- 220 – 240 – Medicine (O’ Level result with one sitting only) and Nursing
- 200 – Mass Communication, Common Law, Pharmacy, Anatomy, Physiology
- 190 – Computer Science, English Language, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Geology, all engineering courses except Agricultural and Biosystem Engineering.
- 180 – All other courses
Candidates MUST meet the minimum UTME scores for their chosen courses; have the right UTME subject combinations as prescribed in the JAMB Brochure and the requisite ‘O’ Level subjects at credit level.
Akwa Ibom State University Nature of Admission Screening
The Aksu State University holds her admission screening exercises within a week or couple of weeks and it usually comes in two phases. Students who applied to study in the school are to proceed for the pre-screening exercise when once it is being announced.
Documents required for the pre-screening exercise are: SSCE result and JAMB registration print out only.
It is often important that a candidate arrive early and locate his/her screening venue early. Candidates will be screen on the JAMB scores and their SSCE result.
The second phase of the screening is after the admission lists might have been released. Candidates who have merited the admission will be invited for another screening exercise. Here all documents such as;
- Original copies of their educational qualifications (Statements of Results/Certificates). N/B: Cases of awaiting results will NOT be accepted.
- Birth Certification/Age Declaration.
- A letter of good conduct from your Village Head or a responsible member of your community/or civil servant not below Grade Level 10 or equivalent in the private sector.
- Certificate of Local Government of origin; and this notification of admission status slip
Akwa Ibom State University Address and Contact Details
If you need more information and details about Akwa Ibom State University, you can reach the school with any of their contact details below.
Address: Obio Akpa Campus Oruk Anam L.G.A P.M.B 1167 UYO
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone contact : 08037120817
These are the important information you need to know about Akwa Ibom State University as regarding its courses, cut off mark, and admission requirements. Feel free to use the social share icons found on this page to share this article with your friends on various social media.